ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
one2wonder

Greylock 5/26/12

I got a few friends together to go tackle Greylock as a training hike leading up to some high peaks and hopefully the full devils path in the catskills as a closer for the year (I'm moving overseas after getting married in August and want to take in as much of the surrounding mountains as I can before I leave).

We met up at my friends house in E. Greenbush and drove up from there following the GPS once we hit rt 43. It did alright but had us cut through dirt roads rather than stay on faster though very slighty longer main roads. I should have been paying better attention to directions but didn't plan that part all the way through. We finally ended up at the lot at the end of W. Mountain rd in adams ma. Note: Google maps and my gps tried to route us from the south side of that rd. The southern portion is not a public road. It was gated from the south side. The road ends at the Cheshire Harbor trail head which is just past a flower shop / greenhouse that seems to get more traffic than the trailhead. When we left at 2pm there were only 4 other cars there. The lot could probably hold 8 or so cars and there is a field right next to it that can hold overflow.

We were aiming to get there early in case of heavy memorial day weekend traffic; we set out from the trailhead around 8:30am. The grade was fairly consistent the whole way up. It did level off now and then but for the most part it was moderate. The trail, stream and road intersections were fairly obvious on the way up and it was relatively easy figuring out our position on the mass dcr map http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mgry1.pdf (I also had a topo map printed up with me but it didn't have all the trails on it)

Despite weather forcasts the day started up rather muggy and foggy. The trail was wet and the rocks slippery. Views at the summit when we got there shortly after 11am were intermittent with the whispy fog like low clouds whipping around. Our views from the memorial tower were limited. An hour or two later it seemed to clear up quite a bit. We stayed on the summit for a half hour or so, eating and then continuing back down. On the way back we opted for the Gould Trail. The less traveled trail proved to be much less rocky than the Cheshire and a pleasant descent. We veered off on the way down to stop at the lean-too near the falls on pecks brook to sit on the rocks and splash some cool water on our faces and take in the beauty of the forrest.
After hiking back up to the trail from the lean too we followed it for a short way when we split off the Gould to the right to head back to the cheshire trail for the remainder of the way back to the lot. This overgrown trail took a zig zag route down the bank of the creek then an almost straight up route back up the other side before finally rejoining the cheshire trail leaving the steepest climb of the day for the end. The last mile and a half were cake after climbing up from the creek.

Overall a great hike - only passed a few people on the way up - a few more on the way down. The views are amazing from the tower at the top on a clear day and there is even a cafe and water spigot on top. Overall a great hike. ~7mi round trip with 2000ft elevation gain.
one2wonder is offline   Reply With Quote