ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
triyoda

Any NY 14ers?

Anyone working on their CO or CA 14ers?
I have slowly been picking away over the past 4 years and I am up to 19 in CO. Always looking for partners for the annual trip. This year I was thinking either Chicago basin (some good 13ers here as well) or try to get a few more harder ones in the Elk range.
triyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Jim46r
Consultant

I am working off some of the 14ers too. I have a small group going to California June 22nd to climb White mountain peak,Mt.Muir, Mt.Whitney,Russel and a grand finale on Shasta.This is going to be one epic week adventure.I put in for 8 Whitney permits with 6 people confirmed "Going"!!I have 2 open spots left. If you would like to come please let me know.If interested i could give you my # and we could talk it over. Also is a short trip to Colorado in early August with a friend of mine looking to knock off the 54. We are going to climb 2 peaks there,but easier ones to break the ice then climbing Grand Teton in Wyoming a few days after.That trip is still in the making and is open to takers as well. Please let me know soon ..Thanks..Jim W
Jim46r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim46r For This Useful Post:
triyoda (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Jim46r
Consultant

I have already climbed Shasta once and it is remarkable.Not very difficult. Mt.Shasta is more an alpine climb like Rainier which I also climbed last year. This group does have some good experienced climbers so you will be in good company if you decide to come on any trips with us..
Jim46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
triyoda

Whitney I have actually done. If I go back to the Sierra in the near future, I want to go to the Palisades and save the easier ones (White, Muir) for when I am old

Shasta, well it depends. I made it all the way up Cassaval Ridge and then just ten minutes from the top (2/3 way up misery hill), visibility went to about 100 feet as weather blew in and I decided to bail.

Thanks for the offer, but I already bagged the Grand (although I wouldn't mind going back) and have Gannett and Mt. Moran on my radar if I go back to Wyoming.
triyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Thudley
Mt. Shasta

Jim,

I live in CA for most of the year (SF area). I'd be happy to assist with logistics (transport, supplies, etc.) for you and your group. I did Whitney last August by the Whitney Trail route, after coming up 1/2 mile short the year before on a 1-day attempt. I'm also taking a couple of flegling climbers to Shasta in June.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Ed
Thudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Scotzman
Where's the scotch!?

I am a 46er
I most likely won't be game for this year, but there is a good chance I'll be moving to CO and begin work on my 14ers so possibly next year if you plan on making it a yearly event.
ADK-#6910
10/46W
15/48NH
66/115
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
Scotzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Dunbar
Always Serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triyoda View Post
Anyone working on their CO or CA 14ers?
I have slowly been picking away over the past 4 years and I am up to 19 in CO. Always looking for partners for the annual trip. This year I was thinking either Chicago basin (some good 13ers here as well) or try to get a few more harder ones in the Elk range.
With a choice between Chicago basin or the Elks you can't go wrong. All the Elk 14ers are fantastic. The Bells traverse is superb and Capitol is probably the best single mountain I have yet climbed.

Chicago basin is also a great trip. The Needles/Grenadier range is one of my favorite places in the US. There are some really great backpacking routes in there and there are tons of great peaks. I've been in a lot of the mountain ranges in the Western US and the Needles (and San Juans in general) are some of the best.